Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Coconut Syrup


I’m really loving this warm weather we’ve been having here in Georgia, mid-80’s, sunny and especially NO RAIN! I don’t know if you remember, but last year we got approximately 66 inches of rain here in Georgia! I felt like I was living in a tropical rain forest! Don’t get me wrong now, living in a tropical rain forest wouldn’t be all that bad, as long as I had the waterfalls, beaches, surfers {sigh}, and fresh tropical fruit to go along with all that rain {smile}.



On the topic of tropical fruit, nothing is more tropical than the coconut. And right now, coconut is getting its fair share of publicity due to all the good for ya stuff packed into that little brown hairy ball with the face on it. I remember when I was a kid, my mom would buy coconuts and then my dad would drill a hole in it and drain the milk into a glass so all us kids could drink it. And we would fight over who got the milk. My dad had to start pouring it in separate glasses so we would all get some of that flavorful coconut milk. There is nuthin’ like pure coconut milk straight from the source! We knew what a good thing coconuts were back then before all these trend setters jumped on the band wagon some 20 odd years later.


Back to coconuts, which are known for their smooth, fruity, nutty taste. There’s really no other food that taste like it. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with this little tropical wonder and by gosh, I think I nailed it on this recipe, coconut syrup. A creamy coconut syrup to drizzle over your pancakes, waffles, or French toast or a treat to top your ice cream with followed by some toasted coconut….YUM!! I’m getting hungry right now just thinking about it! Excuse me while I go get me some….

Mmmm…I wish I could share some of this with you right now so you can see what I’m talking about. But since I can’t, I’ll just get to the recipe so you can make some and see for yourself what a deliciously sweet tropical treat this coconut syrup really is.


Coconut Syrup

Prep time – less than 5 minutes

Cooking time – 15 minutes

Ingredients

½ cup Karo syrup

½ cup cream of coconut

1 Tablespoon sweetened condensed milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4-5 Tablespoons toasted coconut

Directions

Over low heat, add all ingredients into a small sauce pan.

Continue stirring until mixture reaches desired heat. * Important to not let syrup boil as you don’t want it to burn.*

Remove from heat and serve over pancakes, waffles, French toast, or ice cream. And enjoy your little taste of the tropics!

*Helpful Hints*

- Toasted coconut recipe found here.

- All measurements are US

- can sprinkle on more toasted coconut (I sprinkle a lot!)

- by the way, this coconut syrup is delicious over Talenti's Tahitian Vanilla Bean gelato...which is shown in the picture along with their Double Dark Chocolate gelato. Mmmm, YUM!!

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

Featured week of 06/13/2014 at ~ City of Links #22
City Of Creative Dreams

Featured week of 06/08/2014 at ~


Shared with: Share it One More Time Features and Party 05/31/2014, Share it Sunday {30}, Sweet & Savoury Sunday #64, Snickerdoodle Sunday 06/01/2014, Mix it up Monday 06/01/2014, Busy Monday 116, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #9, The Makers No. 20, The Southern Special 9, Simple Supper Tuesday #65, Wine'd Down Wednesday 38, Wednesday Roundup #28, Great Idea Thursdays #58, Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends #31, Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party 06/06/2014, Pinworthy Projects Link Party #21, Pretty Pintastic Party #6, Friday Link Party #70, Skip the Housework #22, City of Links #22, Pin it Thursday #39, Munching Mondays #42, Wonderful Wednesday #77

      

Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.